Friday, August 24, 2012

Anything is a blessing

I am still choked up after what has happened to me today. Has this happened to you?
Photo Source: http://www.allamericanpatriots.com/photos/homeless-man
Today I went shopping for a surprise dinner for my hubby (NOTE TO HUBBY: yes I did have a plan for dinner even when you asked me, hehe-evil laugh) and after the boys and I got back into the car, there was an elderly gentleman trying to start his car. You could tell by his dress and the state of his car that he was not by any means, well off, and was struggling to make ends meet. I asked him if he needed help. He said, "I could use a jump." I said, "sure", so I moved the car a space over for the cables, he pulled out worn out and duct taped cables. After 10 minutes or so no such luck starting the car. He came over to  the car and said, "Sorry I'm so frazzled, my daughter just called saying her grandmother passed away." My heart dropped for this poor man. For an additional 10 minutes, with two baking boys in the back seat, we waited..... After another few minutes, with his head low, he unhooked the jumper cables. And without a started car, I asked if he had someone he could call. He said he just lived up the street and he'd walk and come back for the car later. I handed him a warm water from the trunk, with tears in his eyes, he said, "thank you, for your help young lady." and off he went.
Photo Source: http://saintmarty-marty.blogspot.com/2011/06/june-17-homeless-man-saint-harvey-lost.html

As I was driving home, I couldn't help feeling guilty that he was walking in the heat and I was driving in my not quite working air conditioned car. I would have offered him a ride had I not been by myself with my two boys, but I still felt guilty. I do know; however, that this moment of the man's tear filled eyes giving me a heartfelt thank you for warm water from my trunk will indeed stick with me for a long time.
I also saw another man sitting on the corner by the exit from the store. He held a sign that said, "Anything is a Blessing."
There's my humbling moment for the day. I've never been comfortable giving the men and women on the corners money so today I've decided to assemble a few kits to give out to those that are in need. Whether it be a water bottle, a toothbrush, and few granola bars, or $1. Anything is a blessing.
Would you care to join me? In blessing the lives of those less fortunate than us.
Here's a list of items that I thought would be good to assemble into a gallon bag and give out.
Don't forget "Anything is a Blessing."


Washcloth
Soap- liquid or bar
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Floss
Comb or Brush
Deodorant
Shaving cream
Chapstick
Sunscreen (summer)
Hat(summer/ winter)
Gloves
Shampoo and Conditioner
Comb or brush
Bottled water
Hand sanitizer wipes
Razor
Kleenex packs
Granola bars/Trail mix/ Crackers and cheese/ Apple/ Yogurt Raisins (really anything that doesn't require heating or refrigeration)


What would you have done? Would you have given the elderly man a ride home? Or the man on the corner, what would you do?
Any other ideas to add to the list?

Please take a minute to share a comment, I love reading them! They keep making me want to give FREEBIES!
 Questions? Trouble downloading? Email me at latterdaychatter@yahoo.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...